Old August 12th 10, 05:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default Good starter Shortwave Radio?

Zach Edwardson wrote:
I am totally new to the hobby, so I was thinking it would be nice to
have a shortwave radio that I could listen to some broadcasts. I
would prefer a radio that is battery independent (So I don't spend a
fortune on getting new batteries for a radio, plug in or wind up is
fine) and I really do not want to spend a ton of money on something
that I won't use much if I don't like it, so it needs to be
inexpensive (as in under $100 USD.)

To answer you questions backwards, don't buy a battery independent radio,
unless you need one. For example in your fallout shelter. Buy either a radio
that runs on household current, or if you want a portable, buy one that uses
AA batteries.

Then go out and buy a set of slow discharge NiMH batteries, such as the Sanyo
Enerloop, and use them. They charge in any standard NiHM charger, but take
longer to charge. They also will hold 80% of their charge for a year.

The don't take a charge well the first few times you use them, so expect them
to need to be recharged relatively quickly the first few times.

They will last about 1,000 charge/discharge cycles, or 3 years if you run them
down to empty and recharge every day.

Now to a radio.

You can look at the website of Universal Radio (www.rffun.com) and see what
they have. Look at their used radios too. Don't buy anything with tubes in
it, no matter how good it looks, how well they say it works, nor how cheap
it is.

Tube radios are fine if you understand the care they need, but as a first
radio, it's not a good idea.

Before you buy anything, put an ad up on the local mailing lists, looking
for one for free. You would be surprised what people have, and won't get rid
of because they think it might be valuable, but really want out of their homes
and would gladly give away to someone who asked.

You could also go to www.qrz.com and put in your zipcode in the advanced
search option. That will give you a list of hams that live near you.
If you recognize any names, give them a call.

If you don't send them an email, or if they are a neighbor, knock on their
door and explain why. Hams love to show of their stations and help prospective
hams.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order