Old August 12th 10, 05:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Zach Edwardson Zach Edwardson is offline

Default Good starter Shortwave Radio?

On Aug 12, 12:14*pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:
Zach Edwardson wrote:
I am totally new to the hobby, so I was thinking it would be nice to
have a shortwave radio that I could listen to some broadcasts. *I
would prefer a radio that is battery independent (So I don't spend a
fortune on getting new batteries for a radio, plug in or wind up is
fine) and I really do not want to spend a ton of money on something
that I won't use much if I don't like it, so it needs to be
inexpensive (as in under $100 USD.)

You're probably going to end up with something used,
with that level of expenditure restriction,
because new radios in that range won't deliver anywhere near the performance
that will sustain an interest in the hobby.
Trying to guess what will be available to you
at the time of your purchase is no trivial challenge.
Good Luck.

--

Operator Bob
Echo Charlie 42

Well, I called around and to make a long story short (Someone I knew
knew someone who knew this guy type deal) and picked up a new in box
Grundig Traveler II Digital G8 for a song (20 USD) that I will get
tomarrow. I know its not a Ham quality radio, but the price was right
and I might have fun with it.

So, I guess the question is now "How good/bad is a Grundig Traveler II
Digital G8 as a portable Shortwave radio?"