Old August 12th 10, 08:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dave dave is offline

Default Good starter Shortwave Radio?

Zach Edwardson wrote:

Well, I called around and to make a long story short (Someone I knew
knew someone who knew this guy type deal) and picked up a new in box
Grundig Traveler II Digital G8 for a song (20 USD) that I will get
tomarrow. I know its not a Ham quality radio, but the price was right
and I might have fun with it.

So, I guess the question is now "How good/bad is a Grundig Traveler II
Digital G8 as a portable Shortwave radio?"

That looks like a fun radio. It uses a real old tuner chip from the late
'80s. Sensitive as all get-out. I wouldn't add more than a couple clip
leads to the antenna. You can tune stations in the gap adding (or
subtracting) 900kHz to the frequency you want, as the radio is single
conversion with a low IF (450 kHz [sometimes 450]).