Old August 12th 10, 11:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
DrGong DrGong is offline

Default Good starter Shortwave Radio?

On Aug 12, 6:36*pm, wrote:
Check out any thrift stores in your area for any radios you like.I own
over 300 old radios, most of them I bought at thrift stores and junk
shops and flea markets.Check out the yard sales too.
No such thing as owning too many radios.http://www.shopgoodwill.com
cuhulin

Well the old adage of "be careful what you wish for you just might get
it"

Someone offered me a Hammerlund HQ-129x if I carted it off...now I
know why they are called boat anchors!

I know it works, as i was able to get a country radio station on it,
but i hope the poor reception was due to my improvised antenna (some
co-axle cable) and not the radio. I downloaded the manual so I know
how to warm up the tubes and all that. (Has original knobs i think)
So now I am trying learn with about 20 foot co-ax antenna.