Old August 13th 10, 12:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
K1TTT K1TTT is offline

Default FORTRAN/ Intellectual Property was vemsa3d 1.1 - a flossvisual em simulator for 3d antennas

On Aug 13, 1:12*am, John Smith wrote:
On 8/12/2010 3:34 PM, Jim Lux wrote:

John Smith wrote:

FORTRAN is far from dead in applications processing massive arrays (just
about any finite element program). For instance, I'd venture that most
weather prediction codes are in FORTRAN (MM5, which is a widely used
mesoscale modeling code, is in FORTRAN, as is WRF), as are a lot of
structural analysis (e.g. NASTRAN is in FORTRAN), and virtually ALL
electromagnetics codes.

These days, I choose to program, almost exclusively, in assembly and
C/C+/C++ (all C looks the same to someone writing in it.) *If someone

well, that just blew any credibility you had with me. c+ is a joke,
c# is real, and no, all flavors of c don't look the same! far from
it, someone who knows c would be lost doing c++ or c#.

and yes, there is a huge fortran codebase out there in scientific and
engineering circles. many of the largest modeling packages use
fortran for at least the backend, even if the frontend has been
rewritten in a more gui friendly language.