Old August 13th 10, 06:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dave dave is offline

Default Good starter Shortwave Radio?

Zach Edwardson wrote:
On Aug 12, 11:46 pm, wrote:
wrote:
Look around in your area for Amateur Radio Clubs.They will help you.
cuhulin

Tell 'em Coohoo sent you!

One of my co-workers is part of the radio club, I will have to ask him
about it, from what impressions I have had in the past, it’s very much
of a "Ham good old boys" but I am sure they will help me set up
something if I join. I just realized that while I live in a
apartment, I have a six foot Attic area that I never used, I still
have to figure out how I will get it into the main room without
drilling, but its at about 40 foot long, so I am sure that if I get
into the hobby, I know where I can set up some sort of antenna. (I
know it’s not as good as an outside antenna, but you have to use what
you have.)

As for the Hammerlund, I will be keeping it around as I have the space
and it might be a converstation starter, even if so far I have only
been able to pick up the local AM station. (Live out in a rural area)
I will get the Grundig G8 later today and start fiddling around.

I have a whopping 70' X 100' property. My antennas take about 15 square
inches on the ground (not counting all the chicken wire buried everywhere.)