Old August 14th 10, 01:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Good starter Shortwave Radio?

On Aug 13, 2:15*pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:
Zach Edwardson wrote:
I just realized that while I live in a
apartment, I have a six foot Attic area that I never used, I still
have to figure out how I will get it into the main room without
drilling, but its at about 40 foot long, so I am sure that if I get
into the hobby, I know where I can set up some sort of antenna. *(I
know it’s not as good as an outside antenna, but you have to use what
you have.)

- There's stories of folk installing 'slinky' antennas in an attic
space.
-
- --
-
- Operator Bob
- Echo Charlie 42

ATTIC LOOP ANTENNAS seem to be a better
and more effective use of the 'Space' in an Attic
and generally have lower noise pick-up too.
* simple Square for a Square Attic Area
* simple Rectangle for Rectangle Attic Area
* Bow-Tie Dipole Antenna in a Figure '8' [X]
can be either Square of Rectangle
** Center of '8' [X] Feed-Point
** 2 Opposite High Corners and 2 Opposite
Low Corners

-Tip- Using TV Wire Stand-Offs to Rig the
Antenna Wire
http://images.philips.com/is/image/PhilipsConsumer/SDV9490_27-GAL-global?wid=430&hei=430&$jpglarge$

-Wire- TV 300 Ohm Twin-Lead for the Antenna
Wire; either Wired as a 2 Parallel Twin Loops
or as a Series 2-Turn Loop.
http://therealcableguy.com/300%20ohm...20lead%202.jpg

-MLB- TV Matching Transformer 300 Ohm
Twin Lead to 75 Ohm "F" Coax Connector
http://www.summitsource.com/images/products/COTRAN.jpg

-Coax- RG6UQ 'Quad' Coax Cable feed-in-line
http://www.limesat.ca/images/rg6cut.jpg
* Use 'White' so it will blend-in

-Note- All of this is available just about anywhere
WalMart, RadioShack or a Hardware Store.

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF