Old August 16th 10, 06:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim Lux Jim Lux is offline

Default BNC Tribander for New TH-F6A

Roger wrote:
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 17:25:39 -0700 (PDT), Patty
wrote:

I just got a TH-F6A and have been reading about the weakness of the
SMA connector. I'm convinced I need to get an SMA-BNC adapter but I
have found no BNC HT triband antennas. Are there any out there?

Welll... I had a number of HTs using BNCs over the years. The ones
that were used a lot in general needed the Chassis connector changed
once a year. I've yet to have to change an SMA.

73

Roger (K8RI)

The connector itself on the TH-F6A isn't particularly strong, but there
is a raised ridge around it on the case that the supplied rubber duck
rests on to take the mechanical loads. If you're putting a different
antenna on, what you probably want to do is what a colleague of mine
did: find a nylon bushing that's just the right height to support the
bending load of the SMA/BNC adapter on that same ridge. Rummaging at the
local hardware store he found one that required only a tiny bit of
sanding to make it work.

Then, he did the usual "two right angle BNC adapters" to further relieve
the stress loads.