Old August 22nd 10, 04:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roger[_8_] Roger[_8_] is offline

Default RG-6 coaxil cable

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 21:49:04 +0000 (UTC), "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:

Owen Duffy wrote:

The article also shows a BNC connector option which IMHO is superior to
F connectors.

BNC compression connectors are available. They are much harder to install
properly than F connectors, but once you "get the hang of it", they work fine
and are sturdy. BNC to UHF adaptors are also available, and the ones I have
seen are better quality than the F to UHF ones.

I don't know if they are as water resistant as the F connectors designed for
outdoor use, but UHF (PL-259) connectors are in comparison sponges, so if
you are used to them, you should be able to deal with BNC connectors.

Note that there are different connectors for RG-59, RG-6 (not quad
shield) and RG-6 quad shield, and they can not be used on cables they
are not designed for. Either they don't fit on properly and don't make
connections, or fall off. :-(

You can buy a package of compression 50 BNC connectors and the appropriate
tool with international postage for about $50 on eBay.

There are three kinds of compression connectors I have seen so far.
One is a one piece solid connector, which when compressed, the back end
folds into itself (think of a metal accordian). The second is made from
two pieces fitted together, and when you compress it, the part in the back
is compressed into the front.

Both work well, and if you get the trimming right, will fit well. I found
on the two piece verisions I have, the center conductor has to be trimmed
to 3mm. 4 or more and they fall off. :-(

Note that when I say two piece, when you get them they are both one piece
and can not be separated. It's just obvious that not counting the ring,
they were made from one or two pieces.

There also is a third kind I have so far only seen in F connectors where
the front pushes into the back. I tried many in all sorts of ways and cables,
and either end up with it falling off, or making a solid fitting but no contact
to the shield (ground). :-(

I use a lot of compression F connectors that are truly 2 pieces with
the back piece being pressed into the front.
The front part has an extension that *just* fits over the foil and
under the braid and jacket. The back part is a snug fit on the jacket.
When the back is pressed into the front the forward part with a soft
plastic gasket compresses down on the jacket and braid giving a strong
connection to the braid and foil. The center of the coax (RG6) forms
the center pin of the connector. I just leave it long until after the
connector is installed. Then trim it off about 1/16th inch in front of
the connector. You can go a good 1/8th inch or cut it flush so there
is lots of leeway.

I use a commercial pair of pliers made for installing these, but it
would be fairly easy to make up a set of pliers if need be.

73

Roger (K8RI)
Any advice on how to get them to work would be appriceated. I still have
around 30 of them.

Geoff.