Old August 22nd 10, 12:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Dave M[_3_] Dave M[_3_] is offline

Default I am looking for a project of homemade AM superhet

Atlantis wrote:
Recently I've build several FM broadcast band superheterodyne
receivers using e.g. NE602, SO42, A223D, uA3089PC ICs, ceramic
filters and few coils. Now I am looking for similar project for AM
broadcasting band. By "AM band" I mean both: Long Waves and Medium
Waves. I prefer projects with stages on separate ICs/transistors (in
opposition to "all in one chip" solution). First ferrite rod antenna,
then mixer/oscillator stage (on IC or few transistors), ceramic
filter, IF amplifier (on IC), AM demodulator and AF stage.

I am looking for complete, tested solutions only (description,
schematics, PCB). Do You know something worth of recommendation?

I know that you said that you prefer discrete component designs for your
radio project, but I'd like to suggest that you at least take a look at the
National LM3820N AM radio chip. BG Micro has them available for $3.00 for a
tube of 25 (http://www.bgmicro.com/SPC1001.aspx). The chip is obsolete, but
still presents an interesting project. The original National Semi data
sheet is available at http://docs.bgmicro.com/pdf/lm3820.pdf. The datasheet
gives design and layout (PCB) for several versions of a BCB AM radio. You
can be as simple or complex as you wish.

Another web site that you can look at is at
http://www.electronics-tutorials.com...-receivers.htm. It
gives quite a bit of background and theory, including a source for a kit of
parts for a receiver project.

BTW, you can get the hard-to-fing RF, IF and Osc inductors from Dan's Small
Parts at http://www.danssmallpartsandkits.net/. The web site doesn't have a
search function, so you'll have to manually scan thru the listings to find
them. Good prices too.

Happy constructing,

--
David