Old August 24th 10, 02:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen Roy Lewallen is offline

Default Antenna analyzers, opinions please...

On 8/23/2010 5:38 PM, Gary wrote:

Hi Pete, If you are evaluating a radial field for a vertical, then
the value you should be shooting for is 30-35 ohms, with no
reactance. As you know this is 1/2 the impedance of a 1/2 wave
dipole-70 ohms in free space. I have never done this, but an
impedance below 40 ohms with little reactance should provide you with
an efficient vertical. Once you get around this value, I guess there
is nothing to be gained by adding more radials. What your analyzer
tells you, as others have mentioned, depends on the rf in the area.

Gary N4AST

The actual value you get when the radial system loss is minimal depends
on a number of factors, including the height and diameter of the
vertical. I've also seen convergence to other resistance values when the
ground was dry on the surface but apparently wet at some depth below. In
that case, radial current can be significant at quite a distance from
the antenna (as opposed to the exponential-looking decay you see in the
current on radials buried in moist ground), making the system act more
like a system of elevated radials. In those systems, radial length also
plays a role in determining the feedpoint resistance value.

The bottom line is that I don't trust a single value or its comparison
to 36 or 40 ohms as being a reliable indication of efficiency. You
either need to look for convergence of the feedpoint resistance as Peter
proposed, or even better yet, look for convergence of field strength
values at a fixed location as you increase the number of radials.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL