Old September 1st 10, 06:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] arthrnyork@webtv.net is offline

Default What is the Best Direction to 'Point' a Sloper Antenna for DX ?

On Aug 31, 7:18*pm, RHF wrote:
On Aug 31, 2:45*am, Bob Dobbs wrote:- - RHF wrote:

- - What is the Best Direction to 'Point' a Sloper Antenna for DX ?

Given an area where you could locate a Sloper Antenna
with a Tall Mounting Pole "Top-End-Feed-Point' and the
ability to move the Bottom-Far-End around the full circle
of 360 Degrees.

- - Where would you place 'Point' the Bottom-Far-End
- - for the best DXing ? [ N ? E ? W ? S ? ] *& WHY ?

Given that it is claimed that in general the Sloper produces
it's best reception in the direction of the Bottom-Far-End.

Coax Cable to the Feed-Point and Top-End-Feed-Point.

Thinking of Rigging a Par Electronics EF-SWL Antenna
as a Sloper or buying one of these Pre-Make Slopers.
http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT8.html

Alpha Delta DX-SWL Sloper Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0799.html

Eavesdropper Sloper Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0013.html

i want to know ~ RHF
.
.

- If you've got the room to select a direction, why not have a series
of stakes at
- different points of azimuth and maybe a carabiner fastening setup so
the thing
- could be quickly changed depending on your preferred direction at
the time?
-
- --
-
- Operator Bob
- Echo Charlie 42

"OB",

Given that I am on the West Coast of the USA
Northern California Sierra Foothills.

1 - Receive Trans Pacific Shortwave strongly from
New Zealand & Australia & Singapore & China &
Japan & Russian Far-East

2 - Receive Shortwave from the East Coast of the
USA very good.

3 - Receive Shortwave from South {Latin} America good.

4 - Do NOT receive Shortwave from Europe well.

5 - Do NOT receive Shortwave from Middle-East
Region well at all.

6 - Do NOT receive Shortwave from Africa well.

7 - Do NOT receive Shortwave from India etc well.

What Diriection would you 'Point' the Bottom-End of
a Sloper Antenna for the best DXing from : Europe ?
Middle-East ? Africa ? and India ?

? N ? E ? W ? S ? and WHY ?

in search of the one-best answer . . . ~ RHF
*.

Though I have not been living on the West coast, nevertheless one
cannot expect strong signals from certain areas over there . In
dealing with such unstable propagation as we had in the last few years
a single antenna may not be sufficient and re-orienting it may not be
enough. Over here,in NYC I tried using a commercially made sloper
antenna in the early 90's and didn't see it performing substantially
better than a simple random length wire. That applies only to my
location,that is. . . The best antenna I EVER had was a home-made
T2FD. Much quieter,had some gain and it was absolutely
omnidirectional as far as I know. It used a 9:1 balun transformer from
Palomar (sadly they stopped making it). Reception was
outstanding,considering the RFI and other man-made noise omnipresent
over here.