Old September 2nd 10, 11:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce dxAce is offline

Default (OT) Hurricane Earl MW DX opportunity?

DEFCON 88 wrote:

IIRC, during a hurricane the FCC allows AM (MW) stations that normally
reduce power and/or use a directional pattern at night to broadcast
full omni-directional power. Thus, hurricanes can result in MW DX that
you otherwise wouldn't hear. I'm not sure how far away from the
hurricane this rule applies.

No idea of the distance, but I think it may be up to the station (within
reason).

Might be a good night or two for listening, but do remember that your (our)
listening fun might come at someone else's expense.

Remember them, and the troubles they may be going through.