Old September 4th 10, 04:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] arthrnyork@webtv.net is offline

Default What is the Best Direction to 'Point' a Sloper Antenna for DX ?

On Sep 3, 11:03*am, "Brian Gregory [UK]" wrote:
wrote in message

Because the presently made MLB-1 by Palomar Engineersis a UNUN for a
longwire. The older transformer which I used (may have the original
instruction paper somewhere) was a true BALUN. To build a T2FD we must
use a balun, since it is a broadband dipole.

A long wire balun should not assume you want a common ground connection on
the input and output.

But I've look at the picture and description of the MLB-1 on the web and I
agree it's far from clear what connections are provided.

However if I bought it and found it did have the grounds joined I'd return
it as unacceptable because when using a long wire you want to use a separate
good quality earth which is not joined to your receiver's earth which may
have RF noise on it.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

MLB-1 from Palomar is probably (I would rate that at 99%) their answer
to the MLB from RF Systems in the Netherlands. I still have the
latter and it has only one connection for the antenna on the top. P.S.
Just checked back Palomar's website and a true 9:1 balun kit is still
available,but it is made for transmitting up to 250W,not for SWL and
does not have any enclosure box. And it is certainly much bigger and
heavier than the old one I originally used for T2FD.