Old January 7th 04, 11:11 PM
James Fenech

Hi Roy,

thanks for the suggestion. I am considering buying this book. Can I ask how
much theory, and how deep does it go? I am an engineer (digital electornics
and software background) and actually like some theory to help me understand
what I am doing.

I already have some "real" test equipment, 50MHz CRO, signal generator,
multimeter, etc. So "simple" test equipment may not be too much of an
improvement.

I've looked over the internet, and some books that I have, but found no real
example circuit on wideband VCOs. The only "sort of close enough" circuit I
found is at:
http://www.newwaveinstruments.com/resources/rf_microwave_resources/sections/oscillator_vco_theory_design_circuit.htm#Voltage%2 0Controled%20Oscillator%20(VCO)%20Circuits
The second one down - Colpitts. Are there any such examples in this book?

Thanks,
James.

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
I highly recommend _Experimental Methods in RF Design_, by Hayward,
Cambell, and Larkin. It's published by the ARRL and available from them
and numerous other sources. Besides theory and a lot of real, practical,
tested circuits and projects, it includes simple test equipment you can
build yourself.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

James Fenech wrote:
. . .
I have the ARRL handbook (1997 or so) but this doesn't have much in the

way
of theory. Is there any other reference anyone can recommend?
. . .