Old September 10th 10, 02:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
lu6etj lu6etj is offline

Default Cecil, was it you that mention a "windom balun?"

On 9 sep, 15:48, Roy Lewallen wrote:
On 9/9/2010 7:26 AM, lu6etj wrote:

Hello boys, good day for you

Is it Carolina Windom a balanced load to justify the name "balun"? We
could think in a device to transform Z and another device to block
feed line current. What do you think about it?

Miguel

Before beginning a discussion about what constitutes a balanced load and
what doesn't, how about answering these questions?

1. What is "balance"?
2. What defines a "balanced" feedline?
3. What are the properties of a "balanced" load?
4. How can you tell when a line, load, or transmitter is "balanced"?
5. What's the big deal about being "balanced", anyway?

And finally,

How does a balun achieve "balance"?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Hello Roy

Why? that way we can end up having to define all words we use :). I
learnt a two terminal balanced circuit basically have the same
impedance respect to ground in its terminals, if Windom Carolina not
have it, well... we have missed the "bal" part of the equation :)

I recognize the other items are interesting to analize too but in
diferent sense that the proper use of the term "balun" towards I
pointed my little observation.

Years ago I have read your very good article "Baluns: What They Do
And How They Do lt" (until today I keep it safe in my computer for
reference) and I believe I understand where you point to with the
other good questions.

For John: Dear friend I could not translate well your post, may you
repeat in a little more Tarzan english for me?

Miguel