Old September 12th 10, 06:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dave dave is offline

Default Sony ICF-2010 with a 5 volt USB adaptor

John Smith wrote:
On 9/12/2010 7:04 AM, dave wrote:

JS - Why a Silicon Diode versus a Resistor
in the DC Output Line ? - iwtk ~ RHF
.

The resistance needed varies with current draw?

To drop the voltage from 5 to 4.4-4V ... as I originally said ... the
voltage drop in silicone diodes is around 6.8, it can vary some due to
type, manufacturing process, etc.

Regards,
JS

I was taught six tenths for a Si diode rectifier, three tenths for Ge.

To keep the voltage constant, while current draw varies, requires a
variable resistance. I assume this happens inside the diode.