Old September 14th 10, 02:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Wimpie[_2_] Wimpie[_2_] is offline

Default Increasing the size of the AM antenna

On 13 sep, 10:32, Man-wai Chang wrote:
Suppose I buy a roll of thin wires, install multiple hooks at the
corners of my rectangular room, then wrap the wires along the hooks,
then connect the 2 ends of the loops into my hi-fi.

Would that make a great AM antenna? Would it work?

--
* *@~@ * Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
* / v \ *Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you!

Hello,

A large loop does receive more signal, but will also receive more
noise/interference. You should optimize for best signal to noise
ratio. Often, larger does not mean better.

When you make a loop as large as your room, the wire may run close to
mains wiring or equipment that generates interference (that may result
in bad reception). You can better make a small portable loop that
you can move around to find the sweet spot/orientation for best
reception. You can use whatever insulated copper wire to make the
loop.

Best regards,

Wim
PA3DJS
www.tetech.nl
remove abc from the address before hitting the send button.