Old September 15th 10, 07:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John Smith John Smith is offline

Default Magnetic Longwire SWL Antenna {Balun} 9:1 Matching Transformer"KISAP"

On 9/15/2010 6:48 AM, spamhog wrote:

ha ha ha! And I'd like to add that I hadn't asked any question even
remotely related to the pros and cons of the concept of broadband
impedance matching between coax and random wire, how good this
specific RF-System MLB un-un implementation was, detailed instructions
for DIY alternatives, and the semantics of calling magnetic "balun"
something that isn't so. Such replies push (s+n)/n to unity.

Funny, your very first post contained, "I am rebuilding my 15+ yr old
longwire+MLB antenna due to broken coax etc etc. ... "

Then, you just shoot a lot of amps though wire that was NEVER meant to
take the amps, this is obvious by the manufacturer saying not to run 5
watts though it. And, I have never ran a heavy, magnetizing current,
though a toroid to see attempting to turn my core into a magnet would
suddenly be "a good idea."

Etc., etc. But, I will agree you didn't ask ... you just did a lot of
pretty nutty stuff ... so now you have an old corroded balun which you
have exceeded current on, heated the winding and their insulating
coating to gawd knows what temp, are counting on all this making good
contact on corroded joints, etc., etc.

And then you are afraid what someone said may "sound nuts?" ROFLOL
Now, let me see if I see anything wrong with all that?

I think rebuild it properly, or buy a new one, or build a new one, etc.,
etc. are all better than what you seem to be proud of ... but hey, that
is just me ... and I admit it ...

Regards,
JS