Old September 21st 10, 01:22 AM posted to ba.broadcast,alt.radio.digital,rec.radio.shortwave,aus.radio.broadcast,alt.radio.satellite
Joel Koltner[_2_] Joel Koltner[_2_] is offline

Default Would decalring bankruptcy protect iBiquity from the class-action suit?

"ron felder" wrote in message
maybe it'll go the way of am stereo

Indeed, this is a pretty likely outcome.

The difference this time around, I suppose, is that the guys behind the
standard -- iBiquity -- have a lot of money at stake (they receive royalties
on every single transmitter and receiver sold, as well as a cut of advertising
revenue from HD broadcasts), so they're pushing hard to keep the format
alive -- even going so far as to subsidize the radio manufacturers who agree
to include HD receives in their products.

Interestingly, while AM stereo is about 99.99% dead in the U.S., in other
countries I've read it's only, oh, say, 90% dead. ...although apparently this
is mainly in countries that are too poor to purchase DAB transmitters.

---Joel