Old September 23rd 10, 01:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,talk.politics.misc,us.politics,alt.politics,alt.politics.economics
Beam Me Up Scotty[_3_] Beam Me Up Scotty[_3_] is offline

Default Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs: Proceed with Caution

On 9/22/2010 8:31 PM, Sid9 wrote:

"Chas. Chan" wrote in message
Average citizens cannot be trusted with economic decisions that
require balancing immediate costs and long-term benefits, according to
environmentalists.

[...]

•CFL manufacturers claim that a 13-watt CFL emits the same amount of
light as a 60-watt incandescent, but it doesn't seem to work that way
in the real world. I've been in CFL-lit hotel rooms where I need a
flashlight to read my dog-eared copy of The Road to Serfdom.

•Warm-up time: it takes up to 5 minutes for a CFL to reach full
strength, which may be related to the point above (why CFLs seem less
bright). My friend has installed them in a hallway where illumination
is needed only for the thirty seconds it takes to navigate the
staircase. Not ideal when Grandma visits and can't see the skateboard
on the stairs.

I haven't tried the CFL outside but I had regular Fluorescent lighting
in a barn and when below 32F they didn't work worth a damn.

I think we're are going to transition to the more expensive LED lighting
bit going from $0.30 bulbs to $6.00 bulbs would be a hard sell so the
CFL is an intermediate to acclimate the consumers.