Old September 23rd 10, 06:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,talk.politics.misc,us.politics,alt.politics,alt.politics.economics
jane[_2_] jane[_2_] is offline

Default Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs: Proceed with Caution

On Sep 23, 9:24*am, John Smith wrote:
On 9/23/2010 2:30 AM, RHF wrote:

JS you got any family with the initials "BS" ? ;;-}}

I live in California, it is always warm enough for lightbulbs to work.
grin

Regards,
JS

I use a combination of old fashioned and new fashioned CFLs.

As already mentioned, it makes no sense to use CFLs in a hallway or
stairway where the light is only on for less than a minute.

It also makes no sense to use CFLs in decorative bathroom lights or
ANY light where the fixture points down like an upside down tulip or a
ceiling canister light. The upside down tulip or canister builds up
heat which will kill a capacitor in the CFL.

I also discovered a very interesting problem with CFLs and pets. The
old fashioned fluorescent bulbs use a magnetic ballast that operates
at 60hz and the flicker would drive some people crazy. The new CFLs
operate at 20,000 hz and this " drive em crazy" problem has gone away.
HOWEVER, the 20,000hz of the CFLs emit a 20,000hz sound that dogs and
cats can hear and it drives THEM crazy.

In an experiment, a CFL was put in a single room where a dog would
frequently lay. When the CFL was installed, the dog wouldn't go in
that particular room any more.

Jane.

http://www.science20.com/science_amp...ur_pets_insane