Old September 24th 10, 01:26 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc
Yeti Yeti is offline

Default Codec2 - putting your money where your mouth is

On 24/09/2010 10:07, Rob wrote:
wrote:
On 24/09/2010 03:20, Mike G wrote:
For what reasons would someone be "anti D-Star"?

It's a closed codec - you can't look at it, play with it, improve it or
adjust it.

In fact, being patented, it's ILLEGAL to do any of that.

Which means it's not amateur radio.

Ok but if you have bought a commercial transceiver for amateur radio,
can you look at or improve upon any part of it?

E.g. the firmware that is running on the microprocessor(s) that control it?

Probably, yes.

Done similar in the past (modified firmware/programming software to let
commercial radios go out of band).

But if I want to operate on a given mode (AM/FM/SSB etc), I can build my
own, should I so choose, from whichever components I so choose.

If I was to lose my mind and choose to operate D-Star, I MUST buy an
AMBE chip.