Old September 25th 10, 08:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Upgrading an old Yaesu FRG-7

In message , Bill M
writes
Nikon D3000 wrote:
"Michael Black" wrote in message
news:Pine.LNX.4.64.1009232232010.18476@darkstar. example.net...
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010, Nikon D3000 wrote:

Some folks just can't leave well alone!

Another way of looking at it is that a commercial receiver makes
a good start at a semi-homebrew project.

I always start from scratch. I build my own PCB's, wind my own
coils, metal enclosures and chassis. If I was capable of making all
my own components, including tubes, I would sure would give it a go -
homebrew!

A FRG-7 from scratch would make a good project for you!

War story...many moons ago I saw a brand new FT-757 at a hamfest
disassembled to the fullest extent possible. They had just hit the
market at the time. The story was that it was an evaluation rig and
the teardown was part of the evaluation. They only wanted $100 for the
pieces and I was tempted to grab it. A 757 Kit - haha.

Then common sense clicked in. What if it is missing a couple of
crucial pieces?

The same caution should be exercised when buying second-hand jigsaw
puzzles.
--
Ian