Old September 26th 10, 04:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Nikon D3000 Nikon D3000 is offline

Default Upgrading an old Yaesu FRG-7

"Bill M" wrote in message
Nikon D3000 wrote:
"Michael Black" wrote in message
ample.net...
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010, Nikon D3000 wrote:

Some folks just can't leave well alone!

Another way of looking at it is that a commercial receiver makes
a good start at a semi-homebrew project.

I always start from scratch. I build my own PCB's, wind my own coils,
metal enclosures and chassis. If I was capable of making all my own
components, including tubes, I would sure would give it a go - real
homebrew!

A FRG-7 from scratch would make a good project for you!

I could quite possibly design and build a far better receiver than the FRG-7
anyhow!
Manufacturers build to a design price - so inevitably compromises have to be
made to keep within budget.
As a lone constructor, that restriction doesn't even enter into the equation
when I design and build. The only problem I sometimes find is when certain
components become obsolete and consequentially unavailable, so then it
becomes a case of "back to the drawing board!"