Old September 27th 10, 05:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dave dave is offline

Default Best SW left ...

dave wrote:
amdx wrote:
wrote in message

Hey Dave,
Can you give me a little tutorial about web radio? Say I wanted to listen
at night
while in bed, the computer is in the other room, do I need to do
anything to
the
computer before I go to bed? Do I setup the radio for specific URLs ,
then
I can just
change channels on the radio. I have looked for an online tutorial but
haven't found one.
Thanks MikeK

Sure thing. This is how I got started:

http://www.shoutcast.com/

http://dir.xiph.org/index.php

There's also a web stream tuner in iTunes that contains CBS stations
like KROQ and KCBS

Plus, there are more and more dedicated tuners like the Myine IRA.

http://myine.com/ira/

It searches a central database for tens of thousands of stations and
podcasts. It gets the World Service, but it also gets all the little
tiny BBC regional outlets where they speak Welsh and stuff.
Amazon sells them for $75 occasionally, $150 is too much, IMHO.

The standalone tune doesn't waste electricity, as well. I use a Whole
House Gold FM transmitter to send the signal around the ranch. I think
the C. Crane is the best around these days. I also have hard line to my
home entertainment system. I use an ASUS EeePC netbook as a stream tuner
too, using Winamp or iTunes.