Old October 2nd 10, 12:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob[_27_] Bob[_27_] is offline

Default Grounding An Antenna Question ?

Hello,

I have the normal lightning arresters for my outside (receive only)
antenna, but am still worried.

It has proven just about impossible to have my son to remember to
disconnect my receiver when lightning and thunder is nearby when I am away.

Was thinking about putting in one of those A/B switches (please see:
http://www.grove-ent.com/SWC01.html ) that Grove sells in the antenna
line next to my Receiver.

This, being so simple, perhaps he can remember to switch to the Off
position. Maybe ?

I realize that if there is any strike nearby, and it gets thru the
arrestors, this switch being in the off position isn't going to do much
of anything.

But it might help for "low" voltage surges, etc.
What do you think ?

My main question: would it help even more if this Off position grounded
the antenna ?

Thanks,
Bob