Old October 24th 10, 11:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy Owen Duffy is offline

Default Help High swr

Saffer wrote in news:Saffer.709bc28
@radiobanter.com:

Cecil Moore;721366 Wrote:
On Oct 23, 1:57*am, Saffer wrote:-
Hi there Im new to amateur just got my licence and am having high swr
problems ive checked the coaxial cables for continuity and everything
seems to be right the antenna is a buddipole and everything has been
assembled correctally can anybody tell me what I might be doing wrong-

Same on all bands with the proper coil-taps/whip-sections selected?
--
73

Yes pretty much the same on all bands I think I might have solved my
problem the transceiver was not grounded sufficientally and when I did
this the swr came down on all bands expecting part of 40 is it correct
to say that swr is affected by station grounding ?

Ideally, the coax would carry negligible common mode current and you
would not notice such an interaction.

The Buddipole should be used with an effective balun. My preference would
be a current balun with a high choking impedance, but IIRC that is not
what Buddipole recommend.

Let the coax fall to the ground vertically, and route it away from the
antenna at right angles to minimise coupling.

VSWR will be poor on the lower bands (80, 40) if you do not have the
variable ratio balun, and set it appropriately.

You are really shy on details (eg we have as good as begged you to
quantify 'high'), so you get brief answers. Describing the problem well
to yourself is the first step in resolving it.

Owen