Old October 24th 10, 09:50 PM
Airwolf Airwolf is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Clay View Post
I'm looking to pick up a table top shortwave receiver and have narrowed
my choices to a used Drake R8 (about $500) or a new Icom R-75 (currently
$450 on sale). Any thoughts about which one should get the nod?
Comparative benefits/features? I've read that some inexpensive mods to
the Icom R-75 can make it quite a contender but that, on the other hand,
it comes without the filters that would be standard in the Drake R8?

Thanks!
The Drake R8 is a far superior radio than the Icom-IC-R75 for AM DX though I would give the R75 the edge on SSB. My Drake cost $650 pre-owned 8 years ago. If you could get a Drake R8 for around $400 then I would snap it up. You won't be disappointed!!! Best of luck
Fred EI4GMB