Old October 25th 10, 08:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default 300 Ohm Ladder Line Issues

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 14:44:20 -0400, Mike Coslo wrote:

Stewart had difficulties in getting his ladder line completely wet. In
fact, the water created antibubbles on the surface of the line, and ran off.

"Antibubbles?"

Well now, how do we fix this?

That the line was resistant to becoming "completely wet" would seem to
be a boon, not a problem, for its application.

We apply wetting agent to the line, this
will cause the water to wet the entire surface, then measure the loss.

Anyone see the problem here?

Most wetting agents are detergents (in fact the whole point of using a
detergent is for complete wetting).

Sources are obscured through other applications, but glimmers of
evidence suggest that adding a wetting agent will quadruple the
conductivity of water.

Last time I checked, there is no wetting
agent in rain. This is testing of artificially wetted window line,
nothing more, nothing less.

If adding a wetting agent is called for - in spite of its absence in
rain (for now until the new political alignment ****cans EPA) - it
will undoubtedly render the line as less than useful as would be
expected in either a wet or dry environment.

How did we get here?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC