Old October 26th 10, 08:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Ferrell[_2_] John Ferrell[_2_] is offline

Default Antenna separation

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 21:07:26 -0700 (PDT), brett
wrote:

On Oct 26, 1:53*am, brett wrote:
On Oct 25, 8:31*pm, John Ferrell wrote:

It looks like I am going to have the resources to install a second
antenna tower. I never thought it would work out this way so I have
not planned it as I put other things in place.

The question is: How close is too close?

I would appreciate any thoughts and especially experience.

John Ferrell W8CCW

I am going to listen and think on the subject for a while. I need to
acquire another stick of Rohn 25 anyway.

There is no urgency, I would just like to get back to some VHF work
other than repeaters.

The current tower has a Cushcraft A3S and a 3 element fan dipole that
I find works so good on all bands that I stopped at three. The dipoles
are cut for 17M, 30M, and 80M. I have no idea what is really
radiating when I manually tune up. I always start with minimum
inductance in hopes of fewer tuner losses. I have not tried 160M
though. 40M works well on both antennas so it would not be a big
issue to loose the vertical. It has served more as an all band antenna
than strictly a 40m antenna anyway. The EZNEC patterns for a 30 foot
vertical are not impressive with it, but it does work with an SGC 237
tuner.

I can get the second tower in place with very little cash outlay at
this time. I am leaning towards the project...

And I am expecting a few "issues" along the way.

John Ferrell W8CCW