Old October 29th 10, 12:31 AM posted to ba.broadcast,alt.radio.digital,rec.radio.shortwave
Richard Evans[_2_] Richard Evans[_2_] is offline

Default Canada in Digital Radio Limbo (and so is everyone else)

BobTheFraudStruble wrote:
"Canada in Digital Radio Limbo"

"OTTAWA, Ontario — Going nowhe These two words succinctly sum up
the state of Canadian digital radio broadcasting, or DRB.

Despite years of offering Eureka-147 DAB simulcasts of AM and FM
signals in L-band (1452–1492 MHz) in major metro markets, broadcasters
have virtually no listeners and no market profile.

“L-band DAB is in limbo,” said Canadian broadcast technical consultant
Wayne Stacey, who has been involved with Canadian DRB for the past 20
years. “In fact, from a transmission standpoint, the band is dying.”

I haven't got time to read the rest, but thought I should say the Canada
have never really pushed their DAB radio system.

Also having it only on L-Band probably didn't help, as that makes it
very expensive to provide any reasonable coverage. I seem to remember
reading that coverage was very limited, and there were sod all receivers
available in the shops.