Old October 31st 10, 12:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Is There Any Future For Shortwave Radio : With or Without DRM . . .

On Oct 30, 3:25*pm, RHF wrote:
On Oct 30, 1:44*pm, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:- - Steve wrote:

- - In that case I think they'd better forget about DRM. A smarter
move
- - would be for broadcasters to move to single sideband operations.
This
- - might not give them a larger audience, but it would sure allow
them to
- - cut a lot of their expenses. All they'd really need is a stock ham
- - transceiver and a dipole. And I'll bet that at this moment there
are
- - more small receivers capable of receiving SSB than DRM.

- Even better would be double-sideband-reduce-carrier.http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...60d4ae9e1f1be4

The Better "Idea" Gets Better !

DSB and Suppress {Reduced} Carrier has many of the
Advantages of SSB : Plus the better Sound Quality of
AM Radio.

- It's easy to generate with DSP and sort of in between
- SSB and AM.

YES - PLus any current AM Radio or SSB Receiver can
also receive DSB Transmissions. Backward compatible
with AM Radios and SSB Receivers.

- It's basicly USB and LSB at the same time.

- YES - WWV/WWVH uses DSB while CHU uses USB.

WWV/WWVH uses DSB* on 2.5 MHz; 5&10&15&20 MHz
http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/wwv.cfm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWV_%28...oadcast_format
* Double Side-Band Amplitude Modulation [DSB-AM]
Most times the AM-SYNC function on my GS800-M
Radio enhances the WWV Signal's Audio and does
improve it's Listenability.

CHU uses USB* on 3330 kHz; 7850 kHz & 14670 kHz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHU_%28radio_station%29
* Upper-Side-Band [USB] The CHU Time Signal is AM;
with the LSB suppressed (Transmission Type H3E)

~ RHF

WWV "The Tick !" : All 'The Time' : All The Time !
? A Clear Channel Station ?
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...e125277ed24955