Old January 22nd 04, 12:30 AM
ddwyer

In article , Henry Kolesnik
writes
Over the last few years I've acquired quite a few consumer electronincs

pcbs
including TVs, VCRs, stereos, etc, so when I discovered that I needed a
tantalum to repair some test equipment I was going to salvage a

tantalum. I
couldn't find one anywhere, so I assume they're too expensive or too
unrelaible for high end consumer electronics. A couple of the boards

were
from my personal stuff purchased new. One example is a MGA Mitsubishi

rear
projection TV that operated flawlessly for nearly 20 years of daily

use.
Most of my test equipment comes from hamfests and is surplus after

becoming
obsolete and non-operative in less than 20 years. That leads me to

wonder
what the real story is behind tantalum capacitors. What do the experts

have
to say?
tnx
hank wd5jfr
twere always regarded as more reliable than aluminum; however there is

a failure mechanism associated with the source resistance and how close
the operating voltage is to the maximum specified.
Modern aluminum can have very low esr and an adequate alternative to
tantalum.

--
ddwyer