Old January 22nd 04, 07:01 PM

In rec.radio.amateur.homebrew Ken Finney wrote:

Silver cased wet slug tantalums DO explode, most contracts that
allow the use of wet slugs require the use of tantalum cased parts.

Some years ago I wandered into one of the design labs to ask some questions
about a new thingy we were doing.

On a bench was a metal trash can with wires leading to a power supply,
thermometer, and a chart recorder.

"What's all this", I ask.

"Getting some real data on stressing tantalums. The trash can is a blast
shield just in case" was the answer.

Just after the guy running the test uttered the words "looks like nothing
bad is going to happen" the cap exploded with the trash can acting as
a megaphone for the bang and director for the shrapnel; everyone around
hit the deck.

We got off the floor and looked up to the acoustical ceiling where there
was capacitor pieces and an alligator clip embedded therein.

When the guy running the test said "Maybe we had better rethink this
design", I decided to go back to my lab and come back on a better day.

We continued to use tantalums (aerospace), but there were a lot more
explosions in the lab to make sure they didn't happen on the shipped
product.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.