Old January 22nd 04, 09:11 PM
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that OK1SIP
wrote (in ) about
'Tantalum caps.', on Wed, 21 Jan 2004:

tantalum caps seem to be too expensive for consumer-grade equipment.
They contain pricey material - silver and, of course, tantalum,

No. We used quite a lot of tantalum 'bead' caps in consumer audio and TV
until we found the problems they have and we could get aluminium
electrolytics 'with no added salt', so they didn't leak and were much
more reliable. I still have some boards with them fitted.

The problem with Al caps drying out is mainly that people let them get
too hot. They were rated at 75 C or 85 C *max. ambient*, not
'temperature rise'. It's still a problem; we have 'designer' set-top
boxes with no ventilation, and service people put 130 C rated Al caps in
them as replacements; 105 C rated is often not good enough!