Old November 5th 10, 04:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
KD7HB KD7HB is offline

Default how to hang a 120' / 40m drop in foamed RG6 ?

On Nov 5, 2:50*am, spamhog wrote:
PROBLEM

I have to hang a straight ~120 foot = 40 meter drop of RG-6 type
foamed dielectric coax. No way to secure it mid-way as it's an
abandoned and unaccessible chimney flue line.

Right now all the weight is on a rounded rest on top, diameter ~ 4"/10
cm, made by sticking 3 rubber pipes of different size one inside the
other and taping the coax to itself, leaning on a section of plastic
pipe

The weight is quite ~ 5 kg if I remember correctly. I think there is
no way that leaning over a 10 cm. dia. *rest won't crush the foam
dielectric over the years. I may be wrong, but finding out is not
simple at all.

This thing now only carries HF and a bit of crushing is not important
(+ I can't easily test it!), but I want to make sure I can do 2 GHz in
the future, and I don't know the proper or standard way of hanging a
LONG vertical coax drop.

Now I have a chance to re-hang the coax, and I want to run it along a
load-bearing PVC-covered steel cable, perhaps 4 mm dia.. *The coax
itself is the usual 6 mm -something. I am considering a couple of

1) Three more *loops, to have a support loop every 10m or so.
The cable drops from the top loop, then after 10m gently bends back
upward, then forward again over an arched support, taped to itself,
and continues the drop.

2) Many many nylon straps all along the drop.
I lay coax and steel cables horizontally. Keep the steel cable taught,
leave the coax loose, and gently tie a tiny nylon strap every meter or
so, barely to the point it holds 1 meter's weight, taking care not to
strangle the coax.

Suggestions? *Comments?

A suggestion.
When the cable TV guys ran the distribution line past our house a few
years ago they spiral wrapped stainless steel wire around the coax and
a messenger cable. The coax was the regular pvc type, not the solid
aluminum outer cover. It seems to have held up at least 10years.

They used a traveling spool carrier to spin the wire around the pair,
but could be done by hand by a couple of people.

As an alternative, you could buy a bunch of plastic tape and wrap the
coax+messenger tightly with at least two layers of tape. That would
give continuous support to the coax. A double wrap would probably
survive the elements better than a single wrap. Or you could get
several bottles of "liquid tape" and coat a single wrap of tape with
that.

Paul, KD7HB