Old November 7th 10, 03:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] nm5k@wt.net is offline

Default Random wire vs ANLP1

On Nov 6, 7:46*pm, Bajamatic
wrote:

Is this a suprising result? *I kinda thought the active antenna would
outperform the wire.

Sounds normal to me. The loop on the active antenna is
very small. Not a heck of a lot for the preamp to work with.

Will a tuned mutliband really be that much better?

Not if you are just receiving.

If you were going to make an antenna that's relatively easy to store and
set up with the goal of getting some
fun radio stations and a handfull of sideband stations what would you
opt for?

I use dipoles fed parallel from coax. But I transmit..

*I would define easy as raising a 30ft guyed mast as relatively
easy. A 140 foot multiband wire antenna off that would be pushing the
limits if not too much space.

Would be overkill for receiving.

And finally, will the reception of the ANLP1 increase very much if it's
30 feet up?

Not for most signals. Only if they were line of sight.

Thanks for your time helping out a rookie. *I'm slowly being sucked in!

--
Bajamatic

If you are receiving, you really don't even need a feedline for
random wire antennas. So I'd just take a roll of wire and throw it
up to match the site. Heck, take both of them if you have the
room. But if I had to choose one, I'd take the wire.
Even 50 feet should be plenty. And it doesn't have to be high
off the ground either.

I camp quite a bit, and have often transmitted with dipoles as low
as five or so feet off the ground when I had no trees or tall
supports.

I've got a place out in the sticks, and I always have a radio there,
but I have dipoles in the trees that I leave there. I run 80 and 40
dipoles on a single coax and the apex is up in an oak tree about
25 feet or so. I've got about 100 feet of RG-58, so it will pretty
reach
anywhere around the camp or driveway area. I usually stick the radio
on a stone bench I have there and power it off the car.
When I leave, I roll up the coax and hang it on a tree branch stump.
This was about three weekends ago.. Weather net on 75m I
stumbled across.. Scuse the camera focus hunting.. :/
http://home.comcast.net/~disk100/radio.wmv

BTW.. the antenna is resonant 80/40, but I have no trouble
receiving any other HF frequency. When I was there three weeks
ago, all bands were open up to 10 meters and I had no trouble
hearing any of them. Receiving is just not very critical.
It even does OK on VHF.. I listen to the local sheriff dept, etc
at night sometimes. I have no trouble hearing them on that HF
antenna.
I've got to where I use the radio more out there in the sticks
than I do here at home.. :/