Old November 9th 10, 05:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Random wire vs ANLP1

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 08:44:21 -0800 (PST), spamhog
wrote:

The AOR7030 has a high impedance wire antenna input. If you're
really fireside, not easy to beat a random wire, and not even a
terribly long one. I wouldn't bother with more than 30-50'.

To give some context with my own experience "in the wild" of South
Africa Zulu/Natal (actually at a 5 star safari camp), I took the
cheapest digital SW radio I could find at Radio Shack, 20 feet of
wire-wrap wire, and connected an alligator clip to the wire so that I
could then connect the wire to the whip antenna.

Without the wire, reception was limited to the hum-drum of BBC, VOA,
DW - with the wire thrown up over a rafter the number of signals were
considerable. I've always considered it underwhelming to get a
distant station playing an American music program like Lady Gaga when
what I wanted to hear was Fela Kuti.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC