Old November 9th 10, 07:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob[_27_] Bob[_27_] is offline

Default Lightning Question

Hello,

Took the plunge, and purchased a WinRadio Excalibur SDR receiver.
I would like to protect it as best I can.

I do receiving only (30 MHz), and have an end-fed antenna from PAR outside.
We get a fair amount of lightning in the area, but have never had any
direct hits.

I have the typical ICE lighning arrester at the junction (outside) where
the antenna joins the coax leading to my radio in a room upstairs.
The arrester is connected to a ground rod that I laborously banged into
the soil.

What concerns me most I think is the voltage being induced, possibly, by
nearby strikes.
If anything actually hits the arrester, I doubt that it, or anything,
would survive. Probably more of a "feel-good" kinda thing than anything.

So, let me ask please.

a. Can "nearby" strikes, say 1/8 or 1/4 mile away actually induce
meaningful voltages in the antenna (about 10 feet above the ground,
running horizontally) ? How large ?

b. I try, but I am not always home, or remember always to do so
frankly, to disconnect the antenna when done using the radio. Having my
son do it if I am not around is an exercise in futility.

What kind of "protector" can I put right at the radio to try to protect
against any voltage surges (not direct hits) ?

c. What about voltage surges coming in via the AC line ?

d. What about static (buildup) charge ?

e. I've rfead about the Polyphaser line of gadgets. Is one of these
what I possibly want ? They are quite pricey.

I've also read about using neons back to back, and 10 meg ohn resistors,
etc.
Seems to be a lost of cons to this approach, as well as possible
benefits. Thoughts on ?

Any thoughts on all of this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob