Old November 10th 10, 06:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] arthrnyork@webtv.net is offline

Default Does Shortwave still Exist?

On Nov 9, 11:58*pm, "Von Fourche"
wrote:
* * Does shortwave radio still exist in today's time? *Do any countries
still broadcast to the U.S.?

* * I can get all those countries I listened to in the 1990's on podcasts
now on itunes. *I wouldn't mind a new
shortwave to play around with but... * I think the fun factor would fade
quickly. *It's not old technology, it's really
really really old technology.

* I read Passport to World Band Radio closed shop. *Sad but, sign of the
times.

Passport became a victim of several negative trends: poor sales/
circulation of printed periodicals/books everywhere due to IT, poor /
inferior propagation time period , general interest of SW hobby
nowhere near it was just 10 years ago . Plus the current
globaleconomic crisis . Plus loss of interest in manufacture of
good / decent hardware . Most of the current production is a myriad of
extremely low-end portables from PRC . But, we have to remember, that
SW is the only mass medium in the world that cannot be shut down /
controlled 100% by anyone . Other than nature itself !