Old November 10th 10, 04:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Does Shortwave still Exist?

On Nov 10, 7:01*am, dave wrote:
Von Fourche wrote:
* * *Does shortwave radio still exist in today's time? *Do any countries
still broadcast to the U.S.?

* * *I can get all those countries I listened to in the 1990's on podcasts
now on itunes. *I wouldn't mind a new
shortwave to play around with but... * I think the fun factor would fade
quickly. *It's not old technology, it's really
really really old technology.

* *I read Passport to World Band Radio closed shop. *Sad but, sign of the
times.

- The true lovers of the technology remain.
- The stamp collectors have moved on.

Dave,

The International News & Info Listeners* have
mostly 'migrated' to the Internet and to Cable
TV and Satellite TV and Satellite Radio.
* This applies to Ex-Pats too wanting current
News and Info from back home.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex-pat

Just like the many who used to use Amateur[HAM]
Radio and CB Radio : Now simply use a Cellphone.

When "4G" becomes fully implemented nation-wide
in the USA the Desk-Top PC will be 'passe' for
many/most people under the age of 25.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G

Beyond the basic Cellphone other Stand-A-Lone
4G Devices all Billed by One Provider :
1 - 4G Net-Tablet & Net-Book & Net{Lap}Top
2 - 4G HDTV {Videos} -no-cable-or-dish-
3 - 4G Radio {Audio} -no-sat-radio-
4 - 4G Home Phone {The Second Phone in a
Family Plan for Singles and Families too.}
-no-at&t-land-line-phone-

technology* evolves and people adapt ~ RHF
* technology a driving force of social change