Old November 11th 10, 03:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Kevin Alfred Strom Kevin Alfred Strom is offline

Default Does Shortwave still Exist?

On 11/10/2010 1:22 PM, Steve wrote:
On Nov 9, 11:58 pm, "Von
wrote:
Does shortwave radio still exist in today's time? Do any countries
still broadcast to the U.S.?

I can get all those countries I listened to in the 1990's on podcasts
now on itunes. I wouldn't mind a new
shortwave to play around with but... I think the fun factor would fade
quickly. It's not old technology, it's really
really really old technology.

I read Passport to World Band Radio closed shop. Sad but, sign of the
times.

A lot of people don't use SW radios primarily for listening to AM
broadcast stations. Some people like to hunt beacons, monitor military
frequencies, listen to aeronautical comms, amateur radio operators,
etc. Broadcast listening is only one slice of a large pie.

There's a growing number of amateur operators, experimenters really,
using the AM mode on shortwave, too. You can find them on 3700-3735
kHz, 3860-3890 kHz, 7285-7295 kHz, and a few other spots too.

What's interesting about them is that some are real experimenters
and run transmitters with superb fidelity, some sounding better than
commercial broadcast stations.

With all good wishes,

Kevin, WB4AIO.
--