Old November 12th 10, 07:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Distance to Fault

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 20:07:31 -0600, tom wrote:

On 11/11/2010 8:01 PM, Barry wrote:
"Richard wrote in message

snip

73, Barry WA4VZQ

How the heck did we get off topic this far? :-)

Keep it up. It's interesting.

If that means the lore of paper processing, I was peripherally
involved in trying to characterize Black Liquor
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_liquor). Gladly I was at the
extreme periphery (I am sure my sense of smell was debilitated in
those years).

However, returning to things RF, I also was tasked with calibrating a
wood moisture meter. It used an HF RF source as part of a Z meter
were Z was correlated to moisture content. The probe was a fixed ring
surrounding point probes much like a Kelvin Bridge. It has always
seemed paradoxical that steam is used to dry wood.

Now, finding calibrated wood was no easy task. And if we found it, we
would have to first validate it (sort of a circular form of Sysphus'
task). My best guess at that work set to us was that we gun-decked
it.

It was some years later that that task came around again when I was
measuring K and Kappa as I averred. Here came the requirment for
"Bone Dry" paper. Try as you might to dry paper bone dry (absolutely
no water content), that as soon as it comes out of the oven it is
almost back up to several percent water content (15% to 20% would be
the end point).

Ironies compound in that I now live in a community where 100 years ago
our cedar wood mills produced nearly a Billion shingles in a year.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC