Old November 12th 10, 03:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dave dave is offline

Default Happy DXer

Brenda Ann wrote:

"dave" wrote in message
. ..

I'm replacing all my wall warts with switch mode power supplies (some
also wall wart form factor). My ICOM R75 had a 1500 mA linear supply.
I cut the cable and attached to my Astron SS-12 station supply. The
Drake SW2 has an AC/AC adapter, but I still unplug it when I' not
using it. I have to get below 700 KWH/month.

SMPS' are greener, yes... but for RF they are horrid. Especially on the
LW/MW bands.

700KwH? Dunno how much that would cost you, but here it's about $270.
Bump it to 800, and it's over $350. We have a graduated system of
billing. 200 KwH is only about $6. Be nice if it was a level system at
that rate. 1MwH would be just $30, instead of the nearly $500 it
actually is.

Can you say "ouch?"

All my antennas are outside. My house is a Faraday cage. We have tiered
electricity as well; I'm trying to avoid the 38 cents a KWH rate. I can
get a 250 Watt Mexican station on 540 KHz right now, on a 50' wire
antenna from the back of the ICOM, through the window, to a 6' wood
fence up a hill and around a corner. Very clean QRN, no noticeable QRM.
Now if I tune to 30 KHz it gets really interesting. Just had a nice deep
fade, still no buzzing or whistles.