Old January 27th 04, 12:55 AM
Tim Wescott

That's basically how GPS works, except that you need more than one
transmitter, or veddy expensive clocks in the receiver. Basically with GPS
you receive accurate time signals from four satallites. Since your receiver
doesn't know the time or it's position you have four equations (from four
satellites) in four unknowns and voila! you have an answer. You can do
differential GPS down to millimeter accuracy if you sense the phase of the
carrier.

Loran uses the same basic concepts (synchronized transmitters, speed of
light, yadda yadda), but it asks you to sense the phase difference between a
master and a slave TX, and it isn't nearly so accurate.

"Christopher" wrote in message
Hi guys,

ok, I've got an idea but it's based on determining the distance of a
transmitter from a receiver, I originally thought about a synchronised
clock in both units, the transmitter sends the time it has out, by the
time the receiver unit gets this time a period has passed (probably a
few millionth's of a second) and a diff time is detemined, combined with
the speed those waves travel, will reveal the distance.

however, physics decided this idea wouldnt work, since all
electromagnetic radiation travels at the speed of light, apparently,
DAMN, back to the drawing board.

I'm here to see if anyone has any way they can determine the distance
from transmitter to receiver, this isnt a great distance either and it
needs to be fairly, accurate, if it's not possible, it's not possible, I
just wanted to ask people far cleverer than i.

signal strength perhaps?

literally I am talking about a transmitter within a cuboid shaped
enclosure around 10m maximum and being able to pinpoint that transmitter
within that enclosure accurately, to around 1cm, perhaps 2cm.

like I said, if it's not possible, well then hey, thanks anyway, but
perhaps it is and therefore perhaps my idea will still be workable.

thanks guys! I'll be waiting for your answers or solutions

kosh