Old November 15th 10, 03:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
amdx amdx is offline

Default Matching antenna to crystal radio

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 23:58:47 -0600, "amdx" wrote:

http://www.hpfriedrichs.com/images-votc/gallows.jpg
If it's not self explanatory, you connect a stethoscope type headphone to
the tube that sticks out.

Not what I would call a megOhm Z candidate in any form as this is the
model for the commonplace 600 Ohm (telephone standard) to 1KOhm
headphone of antiquity. It uses a coil. You should be looking at
piezo.

Piezo is a candidate, but also on the table is a C shape laminated core
with a
small gap. The gap will be large enough that a small magnet will fit in it.
The magnet
is connected to a lever and on the other end is a diaphragm. The core will
be large
enough to hold thousands of turns. Possibly even a E I core with the a gap
milled in
the center leg for the magnet/lever assembly. A coil can be put on each of
the outer
legs. Not sure, but I think the center leg should be cone shaped to focus
the magnetic
field at the magnet. The magnet/lever assembly should have low mass.The
coils will
have taps for a va
Anyway that is the idea I'm working with at the moment.
Regarding piezos, I envision multiple piezo with a switching arrangement to
alter the impedance to match the impedance of the radio.

So to rephrase my question, how do I raise the impedance of an antenna to
very high impedance
with minimum losses?
MikeK

You could shorten the antenna to an inch or two for AM, but then it
would be shorter than your tank coil, and hence your tank coil should
be the antenna.

Trying to maximum signal for contest situations want a longer antenna.
Thanks, MikeK

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC