Old November 15th 10, 03:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
amdx amdx is offline

Default Matching antenna to crystal radio

"Wimpie" wrote in message
On 15 nov, 02:59, "amdx" wrote:
Hi Guys,
Assuming I have a tank circuit on a crystal radio with a Z at resonance of
1.5 megaohms.
How would I make an antenna and extract maximum signal and keep the Z at
750,000 ohms.
If don't think that's what I want to do, tell me that too. :-)
MikeK

Hello Mike,

Assuming you have a long wire outside and a ground provision, you may
use an inductive coupling. By changing the distance between the
antenna coil and the receiver coil, you modify the impedance
transformation.

Other method is capacitive coupling. Probably positioning the end of
the antenna wire close to the high impedance side of the tank circuit
will give the desired effect. Changing the distance changes the
coupling.

Wim
PA3DJS
www.tetech.nl
without abc, PM will reach me very likely
It seem a common method to couple the antenna is just a single series
variable capacitor. I don't know if this method couples maximum energy to
the radio. ??
Normally we transform our antenna to 50 ohms, in this case we would like
to see 1 million ohms, I'm not sure that can be done, and if it can the
losses
may be higher than having a mismatch.
Thanks, MikeK