Old November 22nd 10, 10:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim Lux Jim Lux is offline

Default Common Mode Choke ?

Bob wrote:
Hi,

Like I mentioned in a previous post, I have a WinRadio Excalibur SDR
being fed by a PAR EF-SWL antenna.

Would like to improve the S/N ratio a bit.

After the PAR Balun, I have the typical coax run to the house.

I will get some of those snap on ferrites, as suggested, and try them out.

I have tried unplugging just about all of my wall warts in the vicinity,
the LinkSys Router and the Comcast Modem.
Surprisingly, at least to me, no discernable changes.

I see WinRadio offers, for $50 (ugh), a Common Mode Choke to go on the
coax at its end, right where it joins the Excalibur module.
(see specs, below)

Think it's worth a try ? Why ?
Thoughts on ?

See this: http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf for lots of
explanation about chokes, filtering, which mixes to use, where some
sources of interference come from, etc.