Old November 23rd 10, 03:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dave dave is offline

Default Drake R8B Tuning Technique Saves Encoder Wear

D. Peter Maus wrote:
On 11/23/10 02:45 , bpnjensen wrote:
On Nov 22, 6:13 pm, David
wrote:
It makes me wonder why Drake chose to use an electromechanical encoder
for the tuning knob when optoelectronic ones are easily available. The
Lowe HF-150 (which if my memory serves was manufactured during
approximately the same period) uses one, and I'm reasonably certain it
sold at a lower price point than the Drake.

--
David Barts
Portland, OR

The Icom R75 uses optical encoders too. Works fine.

My SW-2 had a mechanical encoder, too. It got so flaky, I started
looking for options. Peter G. posted a mod for converting Drake
mechanical encoders to an optical encoder. I was about to go that way
before someone posted a procedure for cleaning and relubricating the
mechanical model that would eliminate the current problem and forestall
future issues. I opted for the cleaning, and never had another problem
for the remainder of the time I owned the radio.

I'll try to dig up that remedy.

Please do. I've been skew tuning my SW2 for about ten years now.